Thursday, December 26, 2013

Silent Running (1972) - A Sci-Fi low-budget "classic" that I personally found extremely overrated

I like to watch sci-fi classics, and last night I sat down to watch Silent Running (1972). I had gotten this film a long time ago, after I had found it recommended somewhere in internet. I love many of those classics like Colossus, Forbidden Planet, 2001, etc. But I found this film disappointingly boring, with an old-fashioned acting performance and the end was uninteresting.

Bruce Dern is the main actor. He is the botanist expert in a group of spaceships that hold the last plants and trees that are left after all green was exterminated from the Earth. These were being kept alive in spaceship-greenhouses for years with the plan of trying to reforest the Earth. But due to budget issues, the spaceship receives the command of destroying them. That makes our protagonist, who is visibly obsessed and weird from the beginning of the film, get out of control, and kill his mates in order to protect the space forest. 

The absurdity of how the director (Douglas Trumbull) imagined the technology of the future, and the clumsiness of the robots and machines, is hilarious. I'm not the kind of cinema fan that enjoys looking for flaws. But in this particular film I had to make an effort to see anything else but flaws!

No comments:

Post a Comment