Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Man with the Iron Fists (2012): Why is Tarantino's name attached to this film?

Last night I watched "The Man with the Iron Fists" on DVD. The reason I was so eager to watch it is because the DVD I borrowed mentioned Tarantino somewhere, and I thought he was the director. But I just learned through IMDB that the only reason why Tarantino's name was attached to the film is because he lent his name to attract viewers, due to his personal and professional friendship with RZA (main actor, director and screen-writer of the film). So, I was disappointed to see that he actually had nothing to do with the film, other than an acquaintance with the actual creator and main actor. Although I enjoyed the film, I feel a little bit cheated, because the only reason I took the film was because of Quentin Tarantino's name on it.


Anyway, the film has a Tarantino style, although it's not nearly as good. But some things are very Tarantino: the music, the absurdity of the blood-showers, the fight-scenes resembling Bruce Lee in the Green Hornet, the cast that gathers several famous actors (Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, RZA, Cung Le) to create a film so different to their style; also the absurdity of the environment, and the anti-historicity. All that is part of Tarantino's style: he just disregards all historic or geographical logic to make something fun. Also, the abuse of cliches is very much his style. All this is what I really like so much about Tarantino. Still, it was not as good as if it has been he who had written it and directed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment