Friday, January 10, 2014

Red Dawn (1983): How could such a bad film even have a rating?

Right now I'm watching the end of Red Dawn (1984), from John Milius, featuring Patrick Swayze and Charly Sheen when they were at the beginning of their career. I like fiction films, but this is such a horrible disappointment, that I had to grab my computer and start writing something so I wouldn't fall asleep. It's one of the cheapest and worst films I've watched in years. I understand it is from 1984, but it's not about the budget nor the lack of technology for good special effects. It's about the ridiculous plot that insults anyones intelligence, the damn-poor acting, the lack of realism to a level that seems done on purpose. And it is so boring! The actors looks like jerks, because that's how bad they are! And I have all the sympathy for Patrick Swayze, because I've always liked him. I know it's not the fault of the actors, because it cannot be a coincidence that everything here is so screwed-up. It's just a terrible combination of the decade, plus low-budget, plus ultra-bad direction, and all the rest that conspired against this art to make such a piece of crap.

I don't understand how IMDB could have rated this a 6.3.

The film was made during the Cold War, and is about the Russians and the Cubans invading and occupying the USA. Although unbelievable, still something fun could have been made of this plot if at least a little bit of talent had been used.

No comments:

Post a Comment